LTRI pitches MATURE to Prince Andrew in Shoreditch, London
Just had a surprisingly engaging visit to Shoreditch Accelerator #AccTheDuke & Learning Technology Research Institute #LTRI by HRH the Duke of York, Prince Andrew. I made a 2 minute elevator pitch for #mature-ip http://slidesha.re/y9nyqW But wide ranging discussions were had with our Vice-Chancellor looking on. Here is the text of my 2 minute pitch (from a People Tagging perspective):
- Welcome again to LTRI. I believe there are 2 key trends that are reshaping how we understand learning:
- People expect to be able to work, learn, and study whenever and wherever they want to.
- The world of work is increasingly collaborative, driving changes in the way student projects are structured.
- The handout summarizes MATURE, a big EC funded project that involves LTRI, other universities and industrial partners like SAP.
- ‘Knowledge maturing’ is a new perspective on learning in the workplace emerging from the project. It looks at how individual activities and learning processes contribute to overall progress of the organization, its innovativeness and agility. MATURE examines how social network tools (similar to Facebook) amplify learning in the workplace. For example, the people tagging tool provides an approach to capturing the expertise of work colleagues; this can be used later when you have a problem that needs solving.
- MATURE creates value because it unveils barriers where 'Knowledge maturing’ doesn’t happen, and it shows ways to overcome them. Thus the people tagging tool can be seen as one advanced functionality supporting the learning process within personal networks.
- Our studies with UK Careers Guidance have shown that the people tagging tools is seen by employees as the “Facebook for the workplace”. However, we need more funding to test the approach elsewhere.
- For example, people tagging has potential to be applied to new areas such as young entrepreneurs who want to build business networks (regional focus) or students in HE wanting career advice (this could be a shared city wide/regional service e.g. for London).
- Thank you.
"Breaking the ice" http://yfrog.com/nvwnmujj